- The latest order from MMC to our academy has angered and confused many. Some people’s summer plan has been disturbed or delayed. Flight dates need changing. Marriages and engagements are postponed. MMC has already decided that we need to do practical here when they visited last fall. So did the ambassador (in his speech) when he came for Malaysian Night 2008.
- I understand the reason. For a med school, NNSMA should be able to provide students with clinical practices. These students shouldn’t be dumped to other countries in hoping for decent clinical practice.
- The MMC was led to believe that our 9 months cycle is all theory, only after that is the practical. So, they see this as part of integration of theories into practices. What they did not see is the reality of clinical practice for students in NNSMA. I am not talking on the knowledge part, I am talking about the AWOL (students and doctors), lack of supervision, easy cheating on getting some lousy signatures, etc.
- The timing sucks too. The order is effective since 1st January 2009, but only last week the deanery officially informed us. Almost everybody has plans for summer, thus the anger and confusion
- If our beloved academy sees “practical outside Russia” as a part of this “integrated” curriculum, I do not understand why MMC sees it differently. Perhaps they do not want us crowding in Malaysian hospitals? Or they really don’t want us in their establishments?
- This new order from MMC means more work for the Deanery. But the deanery dare not object to this order although some already directed their anger and frustration to the Malaysian government (unofficially). They do not want to be derecognized by MMC. They dare not lose Malaysian students, their cash cows who pay for their ridiculously expensive internet, EPC, hostel fees among others.
- Somehow I got this funny idea that this is only the beginning towards derecognizing Russian medical universities. First they force us to stay here doing practicals, so we have no exposure on Malaysian system. Then when few batches graduate, they report our incompetence. Russian graduates will be systematically marginalized, then they start derecognizing Russian med schools… It is a possibility tho!
- Panova says the Russian system of medical care is the best and the US somehow learnt from Russia. DG Tan Sri Ismail Merican, in his talk in Malaysian Embassy in Moscow said that Malaysian medical care is the best. So who is really the best?
- Both are not. While Malaysian medical care is cheap, but I don’t think it’s really that good. But Russia, Russia is not even near to “satisfactory”. They may have produced the geniuses in the world, but their medical care is very little to be proud of. See for yourselves their hospitals, their operating theaters, their wards, their polyclinic, their medical equipments, their red tapes etc.
- Why care to announce the best or used to be the best, when the reality is no one cares because everyone knows it is not the best?