From The Star
More Malaysians are keeping awake till late to indulge in what is becoming a top national pastime – tucking it in at 24-hour eating joints.
Yes, we are practically eating round-the-clock. If you are still not convinced, take a look at the goings-on at mamak shops close to and way past midnight.
These shops have sprouted up all over the country to satisfy the cravings of Malaysians who are gorging on calorie-packed late night meals with hardly a care – and getting obese in the process.
1. Cut off sugary drinks and snacks – you’ll be surprised to find out that you can cut off your expenditure and waistline A LOT! If it’s too hot in Malaysia, drink cold water! Not cold SUGARY drink…
2. Proteins – Choose white meat (chicken, fish, turkey) over red meat (beef, lamb). Opt for lean protein over processed meat. Sushi over steak.
3. Cut off snacks and chocolate bars. Go for FRUITS. Low glycemic index. You know this stuff la…~
4. No alcohol! They are calorie-accumulator… (Wonder how Russians can get fat when they eat very little?)
5. Walk 10,000 steps a day.
6. 6 minutes of abs and core training in your room!
*You can indulge some of the “unhealthy” foods sometimes, but you have to compensate. E.g. McDonald’s Cheeseburger is 350kCal. Walking 15 minutes at a normal pace burns approximately 75kCal, jogging 15 minutes burns 180kCal (calories burn depend on age, sex, height and weight). Do the math.
**Don’t be so hard on yourself. Even if you can do only one of the above, it’s one step to a healthier lifestyle. These are only the baby steps, there are more to do to keep fit! Find in the internet…
Meanwhile, read “Why are politicians so keen on appearing to be fit?”
How about our ministers? Do they keep fit? If they love nasi lemak, teh tarik and cucur udang, who are we to judge, yah? 😉